10 Points That Will Take You To Your New Home Part 2
A short introduction to buying your home VIDEO
Last week we looked at the first steps that you should take when planning to buy your new home. They included 1. Plan Ahead 2. Select an agent you trust to help you 3. Know who represents your interests 4. Know where you want to live and 5. Know what you can afford
This week we will cover the next steps that you should take to make your house hunting experience successful and rewarding.
- ARRANGE YOUR FINANCING. Talk to your realtor about the options available to you. This can include the advantages of using a lender such as a bank or using a mortgage broker. Make sure your credit is in order and items on your credit file are accurate. Take advantage of the yearly ability of a consumer to check their file for free at both TransUnion and Equifax. Take steps to correct mistakes. Talk to your lender. Have your preferred lender pre-approve you so that you know what you can afford. This is an essential step before you put an offer in on a home and it can help to focus your search on the proper price range.
- ASSESS YOUR NEEDS. What are your “must have” items and “would like” items for your new home? If you are buying this home with another person, spouse etc.; try to get some agreement on these items. For example, do you really need a 4th bedroom or a two car garage? Do you want a two story home or a bungalow?
- SIGNS, ADS, OPEN HOUSES. If you haven’t already lined an agent up (see point 2 from last week); use this part of the process to help to decide on who you want to work with and to narrow down your search. Once you have picked your agent, they can get you all of the information that you need and arrange for you to see the house. This way you won’t have dozens of agents calling you every time you go online and ask for information or every time you sign into an open house.
- FIND THE RIGHT HOME. Keep your eye on what you type of home you want. Bev and Keith will help you with this. We also have an exclusive “Rate this Home” form that helps you to see how homes you have seen rate against each other. Try to ignore the existing décor. Imagine how you would decorate it.
- UNDERSTAND THE NEGOTIATION PROCESS. Bev and Keith will gladly sit with you and review the process and the terminology that you will encounter. Be informed BEFORE you put in an offer. Understand the clauses you will be using, the types of inspectors that you might need, what happens when there is a counter offer, how does the deposit work and much more.
It’s also very important to remember that no one should be pressuring you or arm-twisting you to put an offer in on a property. In all of our years in this business, we have never found that to be necessary and we can guarantee that it won’t happen when using the Beardsley Team.
Follow these TEN steps and above all enjoy the experience! Check out the “Buyer” section of our web site www.BeardsleyTeam.ca for additional FREE videos that will help you to get started on your home buying journey.
Bev and Keith Beardsley are sales representatives and also Seniors Real Estate Specialists with Century 21 Action Power Team. They serve both the City of Ottawa as well as the many rural communities that surround the city. Check out their client testimonials and their “Buyer” and “Seller” SERVICE GUARANTEE on www.BeardsleyTeam.ca. Call or text 613-897-6839. They can be found on Facebook at @BeardsleyTeam or @OttawaCountryHomes